Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Primitive Baptist Churches in the State of Maine

Click here for: A Sketch of Early Primitive Baptist History in Maine


KITTERY (1682)

The Kittery Church was organized on September 25, 1682, by the assistance of Elder Isaac Hull, of Boston. The following persons were recognized as a church in gospel order at that time, viz., Elder William Screven, Humphrey Churchwood, Robert Williams, John Morgandy, Richard Cutts, Timothy Davis, Leonard Brown, William Adams, Humphrey Azell, George Litter, and several sisters.

Late in 1696, the pastor, William Screven, and 28 members of the Kittery congregation, immigrated to Charleston, South Carolina. Near this time, two groups of settlers came to Charleston, one from southern England and one from Scotland. The Baptists among these groups were soon drawn into William Screven's church. By 1708 he reported that the membership numbered 98 (in South Carolina).


The Bowdoinham Church was organized in 1784, and was the oldest church in the Lincoln Association, which in 1812 consisted of 51 churches. This church united with the Maine Old School Baptist Association in 1841. Early records of the church were destroyed by fire at the home of Hiram Campbell before the Civil War.

Worship services were held at a school or in homes, for many years. In 1884 the church obtained a deed for land from John S. Gray, and erected a meeting house, which was completed in 1886.

Pastors (beginning in about 1862) included Elders John A. Badger, Leonard Cox, Zacheus M. Beal, and Arthur Warren.


The First church at Whitefield was organized in 1789, and had 96 members in 1812, according to Benedict's History. At that time the church was part of the Lincoln Association.


The First Church in Sidney was organized in 1791, and Elder Asa Wilber was a member in 1811, at which time the church was a member of the Bowdoinham Association.


The Jay Church was organized in 1799, and the Old School Baptist Church at Jay was formed by members who withdrew on account of the mission system being practiced, probably in about 1826 or 1827. The Jay Church was listed as a member of the Cumberland Association of Maine in 1811, with 88 members. Deacon Thomas Macomber, and his son, Elder Joseph Macomber (who was ordained here in about 1812), Winchester Macomber, and others of their families, were among those who withdrew and held with the Old School Baptists.


North Berwick Church, at North Berwick, York County, Maine, was organized May 31, 1804, with 55 members, at the town hall. Elder Henry Smith was chosen moderator and Elder William Batchelder clerk of the presbytery. Elder Nathaniel Lord, a zealous pioneer minister in this area, was chosen as the first pastor, and served until August 1831, when age and infirmity compelled his retirement. Elder Philander Hartwell then served the church as pastor from April 1832 until May 1844. Elders Daniel Whitehouse and Purington supplied the pulpit at intervals until June 1847, when Elder Richard B. Toby was chosen pastor. Elder William Quint was invited to occupy the pulpit in March 1850, and in October 1851 he took the pastoral charge, which he held until his death in January 1892. Elder F. W. Keene served as pastor from 1893 to 1919. The church held membership in the New Hampshire (later called York) Association for several years after it was organized, but withdrew during that epochal period of conflict over the innovations of the modern mission system. The only meeting house owned by the church, and the parsonage, were built in April 1852. This building is still well kept. The church is referred to locally as the Oakwoods Church.



The Second Church at Whitefield was organized in 1809, and was also part of the Lincoln Association in 1812. It was received into the Maine Old School Predestinarian Association by 1832.


The Palermo Church was organized in 1805, and was a member of the Lincoln Association in 1812. It became a member of the Maine Old School Predestinarian Association in 1839.


The Bowdoin Church, in Bowdoin, united with the Maine Old School Baptist Association in 1849.




North Anson Church was organized June 8, 1839, by brethren who withdrew from the Anson Church on account of the corruption of the mission system therein. Deacon William Quint, and others, were among the charter members.

Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001-2004. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (