Church and Family History Research Assistance for Juniata County, Pennsylvania



The Tuscarora Valley Church was organized on Saturday, May 17, 1794, by Elder Lewis Richards (of Baltimore) and Elder William Clingan. The day was set apart by Prayer and fasting, and the members assembled at the meetinghouse. Persons offered themselves as candidates for baptism, after being examined and giving evidence of the love of God shed abroad in their hearts by free grace, then proceeded with a considerable number of people to the bank of Tuscarora Creek, where Elder Richards preached, and Elder Clingan baptized the candidates. Then returned to the meeting house and constituted the church in gospel order, consisting of thirty-six members (including six received by letter immediately after the church was organized), viz., Elder William Clingan, Daniel Fry, James McMurry, Evans Morgan, John Wood, Jesse Fry, James Fry, Samuel Fry, Daniel Okeson, Nathan Thomas, John Fry, Reuben Mickle, John Francis, John Silverthorn, Zachariah Williams, Jane Clingan, Sarah Manning, Hannah McMurry, Mary North, Rachel Fry, Rachel Wright, Martha Wright, Ann Wright, Mary Howard, Esther Fry, Mary Wood, Elizabeth Mickle, Angliche Okeson, Sarah Silverthorn, Nancy Silverthorn, Agnes Thomas, Ann Wright Sr., Rachel Collins, Elizabeth Williams, Sister Manning, and Sarah Wright. Elder William Clingan was the first pastor.

Later the same year, 1794, the Tuscarora Valley Church petitioned for membership in the Baltimore Association and was received. In August 1820 the church voted to participate in the forming of a new association (Juniata) on September 7, 1820, at Mill Creek Church in Huntingdon County. Then in October 1820, the Church agreed to write a letter to the Association, which it is expected will be formed in Trough Creek Valley, on Thursday preceding the fourth Lord's Day in May (1821) next.

The Tuscarora Valley Church later joined the Baltimore Association again, the minutes of which mention this church as late as 1929. The original log building in Spruce Hill township was replaced with a frame meeting house in Milford township, near Mifflin, on Licking Creek Road.


Ailen, Arnold, Bacon (Bacor?), Beaty, Burdge, Clingan, Collins, Cravin, Davis, Fear, Francis, Fredericks, Fry, Fuller, Funk, Garms, Gillis, Hilen, Hollandworth, Howard, John, Jones, Lewis, Manning, McCoy, McCord, McMurry, Mickle, Morgan, North, Okeson, Pierce, Randles, Shever, Silverthorn, Stankey, Styles, Thomas, Todhunter, Williams, Wood, Wright (includes only names up to about 1820).


Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001-2014. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (