Little Flock Church, Cass County, Illinois

Little Flock Church was organized July 17, 1831, by brethren and sisters who met for that purpose near the home of Elder Thomas Plasters, in Cass County. The presbytery was composed of Elder Thomas Plasters, George Spears Sr., and Ezekiel Campbell. The charter members were William Watkins, William Armstrong, Daniel Atteberry, James Watkins, Susanna Armstrong, Mary Watkins, Sarah A. Whitten, Christena Watkins, Mahaley Revas, Howell Sellars (and his wife Margaret, although she is not named until later, when they were both dismissed by letter in 1833), and Anna Dowel. Howell Sellars (1762-1844) served under Brig. Gen. Francis Marion (the Swamp Fox) in the Revolutionary War. Elder Thomas Plasters, who signed his papers to request a war pension, was also pastor at New Salem Church (Lincoln's New Salem).

Elders Cyrus Wright, John Fanshier, Aaron Wright, Noah Showalter, George W. Murphy, John W. Skaggs, Silas E. Hughett, and A. J. Witty were all members of this church during its history. Elders Thomas Plasters, Cyrus Wright, G. W. Murphy, Aaron Wright, E. T. Morris, A. J. Witty, J. L. Scott, Baxter Hale, J. A. Modlin, John Copelin, Orvel B. Prior, and B. T. Stevens, all served this church as pastor at different times. In 1886 Elder George W. Murray held services when the church was at a low ebb, and as a result the church revived. The church finally closed, however, in 1962.

The minutes of 1838 make reference to meeting alternatively at "Big Puncheon Grove" and "Little Grove." In April 1832 the church "agreed to pay Brother Daniel Atteberry $10 in good trade for his house to hold meeting in." In July 1840 the church appointed Bro. Jacob Bixler as a trustee to receive land from Bro. John Lucas, on which to build a meeting house. In January 1848 the church agreed to hold meetings in Big Puncheon Grove. Trustees were appointed for the frame meeting house in Big Puncheon Grove in November 1848. In 1853 the church appointed a committee to build a pulpit (stand), and another committee was appointed to build a plank fence around the acre of land on which the meeting house stands. In March 1855 the church appointed Elijah Watkins to obtain a deed for the acre of land where the meeting house now stands. We have not yet determined the location this refers to.

On July 31, 1888, Sarah and Pleasant Thomas deeded one square acre of land (SW Corner of SW 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Sec. 6, T18N, R8W, 3 P.M.) to the trustees of Little Flock Church for religious purposes (presumably on which to build a meeting house). The frame meeting house known in the community as Pontiac Church (in Richmond Precinct, Newmansville Township) was built at this time. A call meeting, to receive funds to pay off the debt was held in 1891.

On August 5, 1896, Charles and Sarah Lucas gave land to the trustees of the Primitive Baptist graveyard, in the southwest corner of SE 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Sec. 7, T18N, R8W, 3 P.M. (Richmond Precinct, Newmansville Township).

Little Flock Church was a member of the Sangamon Association for several years, and hosted that body in 1849; by 1861 the church had joined the Morgan Association. In November 1843 the church voted that they felt it was their duty to practice the example of feetwashing.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (