Canteen Creek Church and Cemetery

Canteen Creek Church was constituted on the third Saturday in June 1817, by Elders William Jones, David Badgley, Robert Brazil, and William Brazil. There were 34 charter members, viz., David Sample, Alexander Conlee, Robert Armstrong, Solomon Keltner, Isam Vinson, Jacob Gunterman, Samuel Wood, Edward Taylor, Andrew Stice, Andrew Turner, Bailey Greenwood, Hannah Moore, Marguerite Rentfro, Mary Sample, Nancy Bridges, Sarah Armstrong, Nancy Whiteside, Peggy Tolley, Patsy Howard, Mary Reece, Susannah Armstrong, Susannah Smart, Elizabeth Armstrong, Hannah Gunterman, Mary Seybold, Sarah Van Hooser, Nancy Tolley, Elizabeth Higgins, Patsy Vinson, Naomi Wood, Nancy Stice, Comfort Turner, Margaret Armstrong, and Patsy Howard. Many of these members came from Mt. Tabor Church, in Barren County, Kentucky. The church experienced great growth for seven or eight years, and lettered out members who helped organize several other churches.

Ministers who held membership in this church included Elders Thomas Ray, Alexander Conlee, W. W. Polk, Thomas Smith, Jordan L. Tilley, James Rush, and Andrew Wood. Brethren who were members of this church, but who were ordained to the ministry after moving away from this church included William Crow, John Ray, and David Gimblin. The names of all the pastors have not been determined. The church was a member of the Illinois Association (organized in 1807).

In July 1817, the church chose a committee to inspect ground for building a log meeting house; it was the southeast quarter of Section 1 of Collinsville township. In April 1818, the church agreed that the logs were to be provided at the site where the meeting house is to be built by the 10th day of June.

According to a deed dated June 21, 1870, Andrew Wood gave land for a burial ground in Jarvis township, in Sec. 16, which was adjacent to burial ground which had been given to the trustees of the Canteen Creek meeting house, in 1844. There is still a cemetery at this site, south of Troy, and west of the Troy-O'Fallon Road, which is presumed to be the second and last location of the church, which dissolved in about 1901.