Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Primitive Baptist Churches in Maury County, Tennessee

CHURCHES:

ROCK CREEK

FOUNTAIN CREEK (CULLEOKA)

Among the very earliest se´┐Żlers in Maury County were many of the Primitive Baptist persuasion. Some of them came into the valley drained by Fountain Creek soon after Armstead Redding, himself a member of this denomination, blazed the first trail into the area in 1807. He was soon followed by others and, by 1810, a congregation had formed and a meetinghouse erected on land donated by Jones Kendrick. This church was called: Fountain Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Whites, free men of color and slaves worshiped together for many years. It stood in a place just to the west of what is now Culleoka. The only remains there today is an old nearby graveyard which includes the remains of many of it members. Elder Ebenezer Rice was a member of this church, and is buried here.

KNOB CREEK

RUTHERFORD'S CREEK

Copyright c. 2005-2023. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.


This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (bwebb9@juno.com)