Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Primitive Baptist Churches in White County, Illinois

We welcome interested persons to contact us regarding Mt. Pleasant Church, southeast of Burnt Prairie, Illinois, Grayville Church, in Grayville, or any of the others shown here. See our email address at the bottom of this page.

CHURCHES:

LITTLE WABASH (NEAR CROSSVILLE)

Little Wabash Church dates back as early as August 10, 1816, when a meeting was held at the home of Jacob and Anna Baker. Services were probably held for some time before this. The first pastor was Elder William Hanks, a member of the church, who served until his death in 1825. In May 1817 the church agreed to send messengers to the Wabash District Association, and took under consideration building a log meeting house. A few years later, the church united with the Salem Association of Indiana. The early meetings were probably held near the Little Wabash River, in the area of Concord or New Haven.

This church numbered upwards of a hundred members most of its history. Many people joined during the first several years of its existence. Another large ingathering of several hundred people occurred between 1890 and 1910. In 1826, two Negro women were among the number. Several other Negroes were admitted later. In September 1835 it was agreed to build a brick meeting house at or near Phillipstown, 35 feet by 45 feet in dimensions. Elder Elias Roberts served the church as assistant to Elder Hanks for about a year before his death, and then served as pastor until 1830. Elder Charles Whiting began serving as pastor in 1832 and continued until nearly 1860. Elders Nathaniel Williams, Slade Smith and David Stuart served as pastors of the church until its removal to its last site, two miles east of Crossville on U. S. 460, which was in the year 1870. In 1862 the church became a member of the Skillet Fork Association of Illinois. A new meeting house was built in 1870 on a tract which was to include a graveyard, donated by Dilla Ann Hughes. This building was destroyed by a storm, March 18, 1925. The last church, a frame structure, was then built.

After the year 1870, pastors included Elders David Stuart, Lewis Hon, Perry A. Westfall, W. C. Arnold, C. C. Hughes, Charles Jones, Oscar Wallace, and Randall Hatcher.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Ackman, Allison, Allman, Ambrose, Anderson, Armstrong, Arnold, Asberry, Baker, Barden, Barfield, Barnhardt, Barton, Basket, Bean, Bennett, Berry, Bidwell, Blackford, Boseman, Boultinghouse, Boyd, Bradberry, Bradshaw, Britton, Brown, Buckles, Burl, Burroughs, Burrows, Burton, Cady, Calkins, Calvin, Campbell, Carr, Case, Cash, Charles, Chastain, Chism, Churchwell, Clark, Cleveland, Clifford, Clinton, Coleman, Conn, Cox, Crabtree, Crawford, Crowder, Cullen, Curtis, Daniel, Davenport, Davidson, Davis, Dennis, Dickinson, Dillard, Dolin, Driggers, Dubison, Dufendall, Duncan, Duvall, Eady, Easters, Eastridge, Eastwood, Eaton, Edmonds, Edmondson, Edwards, Eldridge, Elliott, Ellis, Endicott, English, Evans, Faller, Farmer, Ferniman, Fitzgerald, Fortner, Fowler, France, Frasher, Gammon, Gamson, Garner, Garrison, Gilbert, Graddy, Graham, Graves, Greathouse, Hadden, Hale, Hammell, Hanks, Hardesty, Hardy, Hargraves, Hart, Hatler, Haynes, Helpenstine, Hickling, Higginson, Hill, Hilliard, Hobson, Hodgkins, Holland, Holliman, Holting, Hon, Hoover, Horn, Hornbroke, Hostetter, Howell, Hubbard, Hubbs, Hughes, Hungate, Hunsinger, Ivans, Johnson, Johnston, Jordan, Kennedy, Kershaw, Kimmell, King, Kinsall, Knight, Kostner, Kuykendall, Langford, Lanham, Lankford, Large, Lawler, Lawrence, Levitt, Lindsay, Lindsey, Lockridge, Lookingbill, Lowry, Malone, Marshall, Martin, McCown, McGee, McMillen, Miller, Mondon, Monroe, Moore, Morris, Morrison, Moser, Mosier, Mossbarger, Moudon, Moutrie, Mundy, Murphy, Nash, Niblen, Nickens, Oglesbee, Owen, Parker, Peacock, Perry, Phillips, Phipps, Picket, Pickle, Pool, Price, Racie, Rafield, Ragland, Raglin, Ralls, Randolph, Rankin, Rearden, Reed, Reiling, Renshaw, Rice, Ridenour, Roberts, Rodsberry, Russell, Sanford, Scudamore, Shaddock, Shane, Sharp, Shelby, Shelton, Shockley, Short, Sidles, Slocumb, Smith, Spencer, Stallings, Stanley, Stevens, Stout, Strawmat, Stuart, Stum, Sullivan, Taylor, Thatum, Treadway, Trippet, Tucker, Upshaw, Vanice, Wackat, Walker, Walls, Ward, Watson, Wells, Westfall, White, Whiting, Wilkey, Wilkins, Williams, Wilson, Winkler, Winters, Wolf, Woodall, Woolsey, Yates, Zigler.

LICK CREEK (NEAR NORRIS CITY)

The records of Lick Creek Church begin "The United Baptist Church of Christ on Lick Creek of Little Wabash." Lick Creek Church was organized on Saturday (before the 4th Sunday), December 23, 1820. The charter members were dismissed from Bankston Fork Church. The names are not clearly given, but from the first list of members we find the following names who were either charter members, or at least very early members: William Walker, Moses Pearce, Charles Lee, Ben Gholson, John Gholson, Samuel Spillman, Abel Rice, Isaac Naught, Allen Moore, James Pearce, Sally Walker, Polly Lee, Sally McGee, Polly Gholson, Nancy Spillman, Betsy Emerson, Lydia Rice, Nancy Naught, Patsy Moore, Polly Naught, Sally Pearce, Elizabeth Wilson, and Betsy Pearce. The presbytery was composed of Elders Wilson Henderson, Stephen Stilley and John Wren.

At first the services were held in a log cabin; prior to April 1825 the church had circulated a subscription to erect a log meeting house, twenty by twenty-four feet. A deed for two acres of land where the meeting house stands was requested in July 1827. The last meeting house was constructed prior to 1900.

In July 1824 the church approved of receiving members at Rector's Fork, and an arm was established there, which became constituted as a church in June 1825. An arm was extended to the Pons settlement in October 1825, and members were dismissed to form a church there, in February 1827. In July 1833, the church extended an arm to the schoolhouse on the North Fork, in Gallatin County, near Crenshaw's mill. In July 1834, Bro. Harget, Sister Harget, Sister Ambers, and others were dismissed for a constitution there.

Elder Charles Lee was licensed and then ordained by this church, sometime between 1822 and 1824. Elder Moses Pearce was ordained by Elders Chester Carpenter and Charles Lee, in July 1825. Elder John Pearce was ordained in April 1829, by Elders Wilson Henderson, Elias Roberts, and William Gholson.

Lick Creek Church first united with the Muddy River Association in 1821. From 1828 until 1837 the church was a member of the Little Wabash Association due to the proximity of those churches at that time. In 1837, it reunited with the Muddy River Association.

Pastors have included Elders Wilson Henderson, Charles Lee, Moses Pearce, John Pearce, Israel Dewey, Coleman Hoskins, Jeremiah Wooten, Thomas Scott, Thomas J. Aud, W. S. Cleveland, C. F. Stuckey, H. J. Gwaltney, W. C. Arnold, J. D. Vandeveer, D. H. Knight, Oscar Wallace, Lic. Herman Odell, Lloyd W. Clapp, Lawrence Mundy, Oscar C. Smith, and Willie Huffine.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Abar, Adkins, Alben, Ambers, Atchley, Aud, Austin, Bailey, Barnett, Barton, Bennett, Blackard, Bonner, Boren, Braden, Brake, Brinkley, Brown, Browning, Bruce, Bryant, Burnett, Buttry, Caldwell, Carter, Chapman, Clanford, Cobble, Collard, Conner, Cooper, Cotton, Cullen, Davis, Dayley, Dewey, Dinsmore, Dosen, Easley, Eastwood, Edwards, Emerson, Eubanks, Evans, Farley, Figh, Ford, Franklin, Fulkerson, Ghent, Gholson, Givens, Green, Greer, Gregory, Groves, Guess, Gurley, Gwaltney, Hail, Hannon, Hargett, Harkins, Harrelston, Harrison, Hart, Harvey, Hatchel, Head, Healy, Heck, Hedges, Hendrix, Henson, Holland, Hoskins, Howell, Hudson, Hughes, Hurd, Hutcheson, Hutson, Jackson, Johnson, Jordan, Kerr, Kessler, King, Knight, Leach, Leathers, Lee, Lester, Little, Long, Lowe, Mayfield, Mayhew, McGhee, McMullin, Meadows, Mears, Medlin, Meek, Melton, Melvin, Merrit, Michel, Miller, Mitchell, Moore, Morgan, Morris, Mossberger, Murphy, Musgroves, Naught, Nelson, Newcomb, Newman, O'Neal, Olinger, Osborne, Pearce, Perry, Pickering, Pool, Potts, Powell, Putman, Ralph, Ramsey, Rath, Reed, Renshaw, Rice, Riley, Row, Russell, Sands, Satterfield, Saunders, Schoolcraft, Scott, Shelby, Sidman, Smith, Snelson, Spence, Spilman, St. John, Stark, Stevens, Steward, Summers, Sweeten, Taylor, Thomas, Thompson, Tire, Todd, Tombs, Torrant, Underwood, Vandeventor, Vaughan, Wade, Walker, Wear, Weasel, Westfall, White, Williamson, Willis, Wilson, Woolsey, Wooten.

BURNT PRAIRIE

See Wayne County.

MT. GILEAD

Mt. Gilead Church was formed as an arm of Little Wabash Church in September 1826. In July 1827, Jacob Baker, Anna Baker, Peter Chastain, Elenor and Judy Chastain, and James Garrison, were dismissed by letter, and permission was granted to help them become organized as a church. The same year, 1827, Mt. Gilead Church joined the Little Wabash Association. In 1837, it was dismissed, at its request, to join the Salem Association of Indiana; Bro. Henry Woolsey was chosen the messenger, and reported 20 members at that time. In 1841 the church united with the Skillet Fork Association of Illinois.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Baker, Chastain, Daniel, Garrison, Harvey, Seal, Thomas, Woolsey (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

MT. PLEASANT (NEAR BURNT PRAIRIE)

Mt. Pleasant Church was organized in Burnt Prairie township, in July 1830, with the following charter members: William Morgan, Fulkard Fulkerson, Daniel Hunsinger, Samuel Robertson, John Hunsinger, Jacob Matthews, Adam Hunsinger, Isaac Williams, George Pope, Adam C. Hunsinger, Joel S. Calkins, Josiah Daniels, George Hunsinger, Jane Robertson, Polly Fulkerson, Elizabeth Hunsinger, Margaret Puntney, Polly Hunsinger, Polly Bailey, Elmyra Crowder, Sally Williams, Eliza Vaught, Margaret Vaught, Charlotte Crowder, Margaret Ralls, and Anna Roberts. The presbytery was composed of Elder Stephen Williams (Burnt Prairie Church) and Elder Elias Roberts (Bon-Pas Church), and Deacons Tolliver Simpson, William Simpson, and James Taylor. The Articles of Faith and Rules of Decorum of the Little Wabash Association were adopted. The first building was twenty-six by thirty feet, built with hewn logs, covered with three foot boards riven from timber on the church ground. The floor was puncheon (logs hewn on one side). A frame building was erected in the year 1867 at the same site. The present building, a glazed tile structure, was erected in 1949.

Elder Elias Roberts was the first pastor. He was followed by Elders Charles Whiting, William Watkins, John Hunsinger, Lewis Hunsinger, William DeFur, Lewis Hon, A. J. (Jack) Coale, Martin L. Gwaltney, Osby Weatherford, J. D. Vandeveer, Leslie Brinson, B. T. Stevens, Wayne Thacker, and Willie Huffine.

Mt. Pleasant Church first united with the Little Wabash Association, in 1830, of which it was a member until 1840, when it was dismissed to go into the constitution of the Skillet Fork Association.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Adcock, Allison, Asbraw, Atteberry, Bailey, Barbre, Beard, Biard, Bidwell, Binum, Blackford, Blackledge, Bosman, Bottom, Branch, Brown, Bryant, Burns, Calkin, Carter, Clark, Cleveland, Coale, Colbert, Coleman, Conn, Coontz, Copelin, Crowder, Daniel, Daniels, Davenport, Defur, Dennis, Dinnel, Dobbs, Doubet, Ellard, Endicott, Finch, Fulkerson, Fuller, Funkhouser, Gallant, Garner, Garrett, Goodman, Goodwin, Gowdy, Graddy, Graham, Graves, Gray, Gregory, Grey, Griffin, Grigsby, Gwaltney, Hall, Hanks, Harbett, Hargraves, Harl, Harlan, Harris, Haynes, Heckler, Hill, Hoard, Holder, Hon, Hoover, Howard, Hunsinger, Hunt, Hutchcraft, Johnson, Jones, Jordan, Kagele, Kelley, Kershaw, King, Kirk, Koontz, Kuykendall, Lamont, Lee, Lincoln, Locke, Madding, Martin, Mastison, Matthews, May, McCarty, Merrit, Minton, Moore, Morgan, Mossbarger, Muck, Murphey, Murphy, Musgrove, Naublink, Odell, Owen, Phillips, Pollard, Pope, Pottorf, Pritchard, Puntney, Purcell, Purvis, Ralls, Ramsey, Randolph, Rawls, Reeves, Reiling, Renfro, Roberts, Robertson, Robinson, Rodgers, Rolls, Russell, Scudamore, Sexton, Sharp, Shockley, Short, Simpson, Skidmore, Smith, Southard, Spencer, Staley, Stanley, Stead, Stewart, Stone, Sullivan, Talkington, Taylor, Tedroe, Thomas, Tittle, Utley, Vaughn, Vaught, Vincent, Wallace, Ward, Watkins, Westfall, Wheeler, Whetstone, Whiffin, White, Whitting, Williams, Willis, Wilsey.

MT. ZION

Mt. Zion Church was first organized as an arm of Mt. Pleasant Church, and was set off as a new church in August 1832, in a meeting held at the home of a Mr. Bryant. The same year, 1832, Mt. Zion Church united with the Little Wabash Association. It was dropped in 1839, the reason not being stated in the Association minutes.

BON-PAS (GRAYVILLE)
See Edwards County

GRAYVILLE (IN GRAYVILLE)

The records of the Grayville Church have not been found, and the information given here is uncertain for that reason. It is known that there was a Regular Baptist Church at Grayville much earlier than 1838, but the details given here somehow fit together with information we lack.

The Grayville Church was organized on Saturday before the third Sunday in August 1838. The church united with the Salem Association of Indiana in September 1838, William Rearden being the messenger, who reported a total of 12 members, five of which had been received since the constitution. At about the time of the Civil War, the church united with the Skillet Fork Association, of which it remained a member thereafter.

A church building was erected in about 1837-1838, on ground donated by James Gray, the founder of Grayville. He also gave considerable money toward the building, as well as the bell. Elder Charles Whiting was pastor at the time it was erected. Names of pastors who are known include Elders Charles Whiting, Jeremiah Doty, John Hunsinger, Lewis Hon, David Stuart, Lemuel Potter, and Harry A. Todd. Elder Lemuel Potter was chosen pastor of the Grayville Church in 1868, and served until 1881, during which time the membership grew from twenty members to about ninety members. By 1904, the church had 135 members. The church ceased to represent in the Skillet Fork Association in about 1925, and sold their property in 1941, at which time they had at least eight living members.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Allcock, Ayers, Blackford, Clark, Coles, Croslin, Etheridge, Feverston, Hoover, Johnson, Johnston, Judge, Kellet, Kneipp, Lee, Malone, Mosbarger, Nagle, Potter, Rearden, Reinhart, Roberts, Rudolph, Schueller, Sharp, Smith, Spruell, Stuckey, Taylor, Todd, Upchurch, Watson, Weaver, Williams, Zeigler (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

MT. HOPE

Mt. Hope Church was organized on January 31,1846. The presbytery was composed of Elders William Thomas (moderator), Thomas Scott (clerk), and Coleman Hoskins. The church soon afterward voted to unite with the Skillet Fork Association. Church meetings, at first, were held in a school house near Bro. William Johnson's home.
SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Barrick, Boyd, Buttry, Cartmill, Collard, Frasher, Greer, Hart, Haynes, Healy, Hicks, Johnson, McCormick, Rice, Sanders, Stephens, Thomas, Varne, Welch, Young.

LITTLE ZION (NEAR ENFIELD)

Little Zion Church, near Enfield, was organized in 1854, and united with the Skillet Fork Association that year, at which time the messengers, J. B. Blackford, Z. Daniel, and J. Lee, reported 12 members. The following year 31 members were received by baptism, and the church had 48 members by September 1855. The next year 16 were dismissed by letter, and by 1860 the church had only 18 members. In 1861 the remaining members lettered out, and dissolved the church, and several joined Providence Church near Mt. Erie.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Blackford, Daniel, Ewing, Hopson, Lee, Stum (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

CARMI (IN CARMI)

Carmi Church was organized November 15, 1856, in a log meeting house about three miles west and north of Carmi. The church was originally known as the Mt. Sterling Church. The following members constituted the church, viz., Sterling H. Saunders, Council Causey, Nancy Stephens, Priscilla Thomas, Sarah Hughes, Sarah Young, John P. Haynes, Jeremiah Collard, Thomas Collard, Eliza Ann Saunders, Elizabeth Collard, Polly Branch, Elizabeth Burrell, John Frasher, James B. Seal, John Stallings, James Thomas and Mary A. Thomas. The presbytery was composed of Elders William Thomas, Thomas E. Vickers, Thomas J. Aud, and Joseph Bemon.

The original log building was located on one acre of ground in Section 16 of Carmi township purchased from Sterling Saunders. It was used until April 1865, when it was destroyed by fire. A new building was erected at the same site, but it was destroyed by a storm in 1888. The church then agreed to build a frame building on Fifth Street in Carmi. While this spacious building was under construction, the church met in a public hall in Carmi. Pastors included the following, Elders William Thomas, Jeremiah Wooten, Lewis Hunsinger, Lewis Hon, Jeremiah Hunsinger, Stephen Williams, W. C. Arnold, Jerry Brown, C. C. Hughes, Joy Vandeveer, Lawrence Mundy, B. T. Stevens, John Odell, and Mike Chastain.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Acuff, Adams, Allen, Allison, Ambrose, Atteberry, Auburn, Austin, Baine, Ball, Barlow, Barnett, Barton, Bassimer, Blackford, Blagg, Blue, Bramblet, Branch, Brasure, Bray, Brimage, Brooks, Brown, Bryant, Buckley, Burks, Burrell, Butler, Buttry, Butts, Caplinger, Carter, Causey, Chilton, Clark, Cleveland, Cockrell, Colbart, Collard, Collins, Conner, Coonrod, Corwin, Cotton, Cox, Davinson, Dawson, Day, Dill, Dobbs, Elard, Elliott, Ellis, Emery, Englebright, Essix, Farney, Fraser, Fulkerson, Funk, Gardiner, Gentry, Gilian, Gordon, Graddy, Gram, Gregory, Gridgel, Grubbs, Hammel, Handley, Hardy, Hargraves, Harmon, Harpool, Hart, Hatcher, Haynes, Herald, Hertie, Hickling, Hobbs, Holder, Holderby, Holleman, Holt, Hon, Huber, Huffman, Huffstetler, Hughes, Hunsinger, Irkman, Irvin, Johnson, Jones, Jordan, Kinchalo, Kindall, Knight, Lamp, Langford, Leathers, Lee, Little, Low, Lowe, Malone, Mansell, Martin, Matsel, McDonald, Miles, Minton, Mitchell, Mobley, Mossberger, Mullens, Mundy, Murphy, Nelson, Newman, Nibbling, Ninnes, Oliver, Parish, Parkhurst, Pearce, Perry, Phillips, Phipps, Pryor, Ralls, Ramming, Randolph, Reeder, Richards, Rose, Rosier, Rossemer, Rudolph, Russell, Salone, Saltzman, Sanders, Savage, Schauberger, Scadamore, Seal, Simmons, Simons, Simpson, Smith, Smock, Souls, Spence, Spencer, Staley, Stallings, Stange, Stanley, Stead, Stephens, Stevens, Strawmat, Stuart, Stuckey, Swofford, Talkington, Tanner, Tarrant, Taylor, Thomas, Thompson, Tippet, Tracy, Upton, Vaughn, Voliva, Walker, Wells, West, Wheeler, White, Wiggins, Wiley, Williams, Willis, Wilson, Winter, Woodward, Wooten, Wylie, Yates, Yeager, Yingst, Young.

LITTLE ZION (ENFIELD)(REORGANIZED)

Little Zion Church, near Enfield, Illinois, was organized in 1872, or 1873, and was represented by letter and messenger at the Skillet Fork Association in September 1873, John Stallings, R. C. Cleveland, and M. D. Shockley being the messengers, who reported 13 members in fellowship, of which six had been added since the constitution.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Buttery, Cleveland, Doty, Englebright, Finch, Gwaltney, Locke, Martin, Meeks, Newman, Sanders, Shockley, Stallings, Thomas, Turner, West, Williams (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

PLEASANT UNION (IN CENTERVILLE)

Pleasant Union Church was organized in Centerville on February 17, 1883, at the new meeting house. The thirty-two charter members were: Elder William Defur, Olive Defur, F. T. Defur, Isaac Daniels, Alonzo Hargroves, James Barbre, Martha Barbre, David Staley, Martha Staley, Sarah Ralls, Elizabeth Randolph, Nathaniel Ralls, Hester Lee, Nancy Jones, Sophronia Daniels, Mary A. Lee, Sarah Baird, Lutharia Cairl, Polly A. Daniels, Margaret Daniels, William Jones, Martha Jones, Belle Funkhouser, James A. Williams, Henry Ralls, Elizabeth Ralls, C. W. Staley, Alice Barbre, Rachel Hutchraft, Emma Calkin, Stephen Calkin, and John B. Sanders. The presbytery was composed of Elders David Stuart, Lewis Hon, W. S. Cleveland, and Deacons Jeremiah Hunsinger and J. L. Finch.

Pleasant Union Church became a member of the Skillet Fork Association in 1883, of which it remained an honored member.

Ministers ordained by this church include Elders Elisha Doty, Stephen Williams, James A. Williams, Stephen Calkin, Charles E. Jones, Stephen Stanley and Elijah Doty.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Baird, Bakleber, Barbre, Benton, Bixenstine, Black, Blackford, Blackledge, Blakely, Blue, Boyd, Bradshaw, Brazier, Brown, Buttrey, Buttry, Cairl, Calkin, Carr, Carter, Casebier, Cleveland, Compton, Cox, Daniel, Daniels, Defur, Dennis, Dickerson, Doty, Elliot, Fowler, Frasier, Fulkerson, Funkhouser, George, Gill, Gowdy, Graves, Gregory, Gwaltney, Hamblin, Hargraves, Harrison, Heil, Holland, Holleman, Hume, Hunsinger, Hutchcraft, Jackson, Jones, Jordan, King, Lamont, Large, Lee, Logan, Majors, Martin, Masterson, May, McCarty, McKnight, Minton, Moore, Morris, Mossberger, Murphy, Neal, Owen, Pfister, Pottorff, Puntney, Purcell, Ralls, Randolph, Reiling, Rister, Russell, Sampson, Sanders, Savage, Scudamore, Selby, Short, Smith, Spence, Spencer, Staley, Stanley, Stein, Stephens, Tabor, Teadro, Tedroe, Thatcher, Williams, Witcher, Woods.

SALEM (NEAR CROSSVILLE)

Salem Church was organized May 30, 1896, at the Salem meeting house about five miles northwest of Crossville. The presbytery was composed of Elders Lewis Hon, Perry Westfall, H. A. Todd, Stephen Williams, James A. Williams, W. S. Cleveland, and A. J. Coale; and Deacons Carson Hon, Newton Stone, James Finch, and C. H. Wheeler. The fourteen charter members were: J. G. Edwards, Mollie Edwards, Cora Edwards, B. Blackford, Joseph Nickins, Jim Hanks, Jeff Higginson, Emma Higginson, William Ridenour, Susie Ridenour, John Ridenour, Allen Carter, Sallie Blakely, and Charles Colvin. They came from Little Wabash, Pleasant Union and a church in Gibson County, Indiana.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Blackford, Blakely, Britton, Carter, Colvin, Edwards, Hanks, Hatcher, Hayes, Higginson, Hodgson, Jones, Nickins, Puntney, Ridenour, Wallace (very incomplete list due to lack of records).

CROSSVILLE (IN CROSSVILLE)

Crossville Church was organized October 15, 1901, at a meeting held in the old Presbyterian church building. The twenty-six charter members were: Elder Jerry Brown, Robert Marshall, J. W. Armstrong, Franklin Brown, Zach Lawrence, David C. Stuart, Leroy Hon, James Sidel, J. P. Westfall, James Eaton, L. R. Hail, Amanda Marshall, Hattie Brown, Ethel Armstrong, Cerelda Brown, Martha E. Lawrence, Mary B. Stuart, Alice E. Hon, Edith S. Sidel, Sadia Gramm, Martha E. Kinsall, Casander Armstrong, Bertha Hammon, Nancy Boultinghouse, Lyria E. Hughes and Mary E. Estes.

The presbytery was composed of Elders W. C. Arnold, J. A. Williams, Jeremiah M. Hunsinger, H. A. Todd, and J. B. Hardy; and Deacons D. B. Hanks, Theodore Winkler, Edward Hon, J. C. Hon, A. W. Calvin, F. V. Spencer, and L. S. Blue.

In the Fall of 1902 Crossville Church united with the Skillet Fork Association. Work began on a new building in late 1902 or early 1903.

Pastors who served the church included: W. C. Arnold, Delbert E. Baker, Elijah T. Doty, Oscar C. Wallace, Otto Byers, and Lloyd W. Clapp.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Armstrong, Arnold, Barbre, Barnes, Basket, Boultinghouse, Bradshaw, Britton, Brown, Caplinger, Carbaugh, Cheshire, Cleavlin, Clifford, Davenport, Dennis, Dosier, Doty, Drew, Eaton, Estes, Ferguson, Fobar, Forrester, Garner, Gibson, Gramm, Graves, Gwaltney, Hail, Hammon, Hanks, Hardy, Hargraves, Hart, Hastins, Hill, Hon, Hubbard, Hughes, Johnson, Jones, Kerley, King, Kinsall, Knight, Koonce, Kuykendall, Lanihan, lawrence, Layton, Marshall, McMann, Nickens, Peacock, Perkins, Perry, Price, Renshaw, Ridenour, Sidel, Skelton, Spencer, Staley, Stokes, Stuart, Sullivan, Swicker, Taylor, Trainer, Tucker, Ward, Westfall, Whalen, Williams, Wilson, Winter, Yates.

CALVIN (CALVIN)

Calvin Church, at Calvin, was organized in 1901. The church was listed in the minutes of the Skillet Fork Association as late as 1923, and evidently continued to exist for several years after that. The statistics of the church show that it had over 60 members for several years. Green Boultinghouse was the last clerk of Calvin Church mentioned in the association minutes.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Ackman, Boultinghouse, Calvin, Hon, Hughes, Owen, Wallace, Ward, Wells (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

NORRIS CITY (IN NORRIS CITY)

Norris City Church was organized at Norris City, on November 16, 1901, with ten charter members, viz., Elder Charles F. Stuckey, Lucy Stuckey, Charles Austin, Mary Austin, Margaret J. Spence, John Hart, Albert Hart, Josephine Hart, R. M. Westfall, and S. P. Westfall. The presbytery was composed of Elder Simon Reeder, and Brethren John M. Berry, Robert Crunk, W. T. Smith, W. R. Austin, representing Cottonwood, Cottage Grove and Lick Creek churches. At the same meeting, the church voted to build a meeting house in Norris City.

The Norris City Church joined the Muddy River Association in 1902. By 1905, under the pastoral care of Elder C. F. Stuckey, the church had grown to 38 members. Elder Stuckey was followed in the office of pastor by Elders H. J. Gwaltney (1912), H. J. Gwaltney and Martin L. Gwaltney jointly (1917), Martin L. Gwaltney (1918), Jerry Brown (1920), and Martin L. Gwaltney (1926).

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Acord, Adams, Allen, Austin, Barnett, Bolerjack, Bradley, Brice, Brown, Buttry, Cammel, Campbell, Causey, Chapman, Clark, Cobbel, Cook, Edmonds, Endicott, Farless, Gibson, Gwaltney, Harrell, Harriss, Hart, Hopkins, Horney, Johnson, Lawrence, Little, Mills, Mitchell, Mosley, Mossberger, Muck, Pearce, Pool, Pribble, Quails, Seckner, Shaw, Slocum, Smith, Spence, Story, Stuckey, Veach, Welch, Welsh, Westfall, Woolard, Yeager.

MAUNIE (MAUNIE)

Maunie Church, in Maunie, was organized in November 1901, with at least eight charter members (dismissed for that purpose from the Carmi Church), viz., Clyde McDonald, Rhoda McDonald, Ella Simmons, Henry Simmons, Laura Sloan, Deborah White, Ada Wilson, and William Wilson.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

McDonald, Simmons, Sloan, White, Wilson.


ADDITIONAL RESOURCE MATERIAL IN THE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST LIBRARY:

Manuscript records of several churches; minutes of the Skillet Fork and Muddy River Associations.

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Copyright c. 2001-2015. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.



This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (bwebb9@juno.com)