Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Scott County, Kentucky



Great Crossing Church, near Georgetown, was organized on May 28, 1785, by Elders Lewis Craig and John Taylor. The charter members were William Cave, James Suggett Sr., (Colonel) Robert Johnson, Thomas Ficklin, John Suggett, Julius Gibbs, Robert Bradley, Barlett Collins, Jemima Johnson, Susannah Cave, Sarah Shipp, Katy Herndon, Jane Herndon, Hannah Bradley, Betsy Leeman and Betsy Collins.

Elder Elijah Craig was called as pastor within a year or two, and served for about five years. He was followed by Elder Joseph Redding, in 1793; James Suggett, in 1810; Jacob Creath; Silas M. Noel, in 1827. During the trouble that gave birth to Campbellism, this church lost only sixteen members out of nearly 600.


ELK LICK (1809)

RAY'S FORK (1811)

Ray's Fork Church was organized on November 29, 1811, with 14 members, and Elder John Conner as pastor, who served until 1829. Elder William Conrad then served, from 1829 to 1873; in December 1867 the church called Elder Elijah Billeter to assist Elder Conrad. In October 1873, Elder James J. Gilbert was chosen pastor. Early deacons included Samuel Marshall, James Lancaster, Silas Marshall, Colby Brooks, A. F. Sherfy, and James Mallory. Early clerks included Robert Hendricks, John Barlett, John Wells, John W. Jones, William Linn, and W. W. Hamilton. The original meeting house was torn down in 1902 and a new one was dedicated in May 1903.





Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (