Church and Family History Research Assistance for Pasquotank County, North Carolina


SHILOH (1729)


This church was constituted in 1790 from Camden Church, in Camden County, N. C. It has borne different names - Flatty Creek, Newbiggin, Salem, and then Flatty Creek again. A majority of Salem Church became infected with the modern spirit of innovation, and a minority withdrew from them in 1833 and formed a separate body, and resumed the first name of the church with great appropriateness. At the separation, the minority consisted of about a dozen members. Elder Stanton Meads was chosen pastor in 1869, and Elder Charles Meads was chosen in 1879. Deacons have been Dempsey B. Pendleton, Benjamin Pendleton, Stanton Meads, Thomas Markham, and John S. Meads. Clerks have included John Westfield, Francis Fletcher, William F. Banks, A. B. Palmer, Joseph Sanders, Charles Meads, Benjamin H. Brothers, and Henry C. Boyd. The meeting house is near Nixonton.


This church was constituted August 22, 1849, by Elders George W. Carrowan and Samuel Tatum, from Coinjock Church, Currituck County. The meeting-house is situated half a mile from Elizabeth City, N. C. Elder Samuel Tatum was the first pastor (chosen in 1850), and Eldeer Charles Meads was chosen in 1876. William Forbes, and next, Thomas Miller were the first deacons. Clerks have included D. B. Pendleton, John Tatum, William Forbes, William F. Sanders, William Greaves, and Joseph B. Cooper.

Copyright c. 2001-2020. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (