Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Montgomery County, Kentucky



Lulbegrud Church (so called from a small stream nearby - a name derived from Gulliver's travels, and named by one of Daniel Boone's party). It was organized with twenty members, on the third Saturday in March, 1793. The presbytery was composed of Elders Thomas Ammons and Andrew Tribble, ministers of the South Kentucky Association. Early pastors included Moses Bledsoe, David Barrow, and Jeremiah Vardeman. James French, a prominent citizen and one of the earliest settlers in Kentucky, was the clerk for many years.

The meeting house was built about 1805, and according to tradition, it was designed by Widow French with twelve corners, to represent the twelve apostles. It was originally heated by a large fireplace.

Elder Thomas Boone (son of Squire Boone III, and grandson of Samuel Boone, older brother to"the" Daniel Boone) was called as pastor in 1823.

The church survived the Campbellite movement without serious damage, but was divided by the modern mission movement, and a lawsuit ensued over the ownership of the house, which was decided by the Court of Appeals in favor of the old order of Baptists. In 1856 Elder William Rupard was called as pastor. He was followed by Elder E. B. Bartlett.


Grassy Lick Church was organized in 1793 by members dismissed for that purpose from Bryan's Church. Elijah Barnes was probably the first pastor.





Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001-2021. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (