Church and Family History Research Assistance for Primitive Baptist Churches in Johnson County, Illinois

SHILOH (VIENNA)

Shiloh Church was organized in 1831 or earlier, and united with the Little Wabash Association in 1831. The church was dropped from the Little Wabash Association in 1832, without a reason being stated, but probably as a result of having joined the Bethel Association. The church was listed as a member of the Muddy River Association in 1866.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Atnipp, Baker, Carter, Downey, Dunn, Hodge, Hutton, Johnson, Kerley, Kimbro, McGinnis, Miller, Reynolds, Rowland, Wagner (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

ROCK SPRINGS (SIMPSON)

Rock Springs Church was organized by 1843 or (possibly much) earlier, as it became a member of the Bethel Association in 1843. In 1851, Rock Springs Church experienced a revival, with 29 members being added in one year, making the total membership 85. Elders D. C. Clay, Henry Coleman, and William Coleman were early ministers in this church.

Rock Springs Church was at first a member of the Bethel Association, but after about 1900, united with the Soldier Creek Association of Kentucky.

Later pastors of the church included Elders N. A. Rogers, C. O. Kerley, and W. Y. Chandler.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Bass, Clarady, Clay, Coleman, Dearmon, Eades, Floyd, Hodge, Kerley, Mathews, McGregor, Meredith, Neal, Prince, Rogers, Sharp, Shelton, Simpson, Stockton, Trigg, Wood (very incomplete list due to lack of records).

LITTLE FLOCK (OZARK)

Little Flock Church was organized in 1859, in William Frizzell's barn, by the following twelve charter members, viz., William Simpson and wife, Abe Miller and wife, Elijah and Lucinda Reeves, Mrs. A. Nickols, William Frizzell and wife, John and Elizabeth Frizzell Chester, and Nancy Jane Chester Rushing. In 1886 the church purchased a plot of ground about two miles southeast of Ozark, from Joe Rushing, and erected a frame meeting house. Prior to that time the meetings had been held in homes or schoolhouses.

Pastors of the church included Elders William DeFurr, Richard Fulkerson, William Gouge, Lemuel Potter and Charles M. Weaver. Elder Weaver served the church for over fifty years.

SURNAMES OF MEMBERS:

Chester, Collier, Cox, Frizzell, Fulkerson, Keith, McBride, Miller, Morris, Nickols, Reeves, Rushing, Simpson (very incomplete list due to loss of records).

ADDITIONAL REFERENCE SOURCES IN THE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST LIBRARY:

Minutes of the Bethel and Soldier Creek Associations.

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Copyright c. 2001-2018. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.



This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (bwebb9@juno.com)