Church and Family History Research Assistance for Halifax County, North Carolina


KEHUKEE (1742)

This church is considered the mother church of the Kehukee Association. The Association was organized and held with this church in 1765, and derived its name from this church. She was first gathered and constituted, in 1742, with membvers who had been received on the free-will plan; but on being visited by Elders Vanhorn and Miller, from the Philadelphia Association, she was established on the Regular Baptist order, and joined in covenant in the year 1755. She was, after her Regular organization, under the care for some years of that eminent servant of our Lord Jesus Christ, Thomas Pope. After the death of Elder Pope she was under the care of Elder Meglamre for some years. Elder Meglamre removed to Sussex, Virginia, and resigned the pastoral care to Elder William Burgess, who was raised in Camden county. Elder Burgess continued to officiate as pastor until called home to rest from his labors. The church had now grown ver cold, and by reason of deaths, escommunications and removals was greatly decreased in number. Elder Silas Mercer occasionally attended her meetings. After his removal to Georgia she was for awhile attended by Elder Joshua White. After his removal to the West, Elder Lemuel Burkitt visited her. After his death she was attended by Elder Joshua Lawrence for a number of years. From about 1830 to 1860 there appears to have been no regular pastor. On the tenth of May, 1860, Elder John W. Stamper was called, and took the pastoral charge of the church. He served her faithfully until his death, July 9, 1876. From 1830 to 1876 her monthly meetings were held on the Second Sunday and Saturday before. When the church was so long without a pastor she was not neglected by the ministry; but was served occasionally and alternately by Elders Joshua Lawrence, William Hyman, William Dickens, Lemuel Bennett, Larence Whitehead, William F. Bell, John H. Daniel, and C. B. Hassell.

On the second Saturday in December 1876, the monthly meeting was changed from the second to the first Sunday, and Elder P. D. Gold was called to take the pastoral care. On the first Saturday in January 1879 (Elder Gold having resigned), the time of meeting was changed to the third Sunday in each month, and Elder Andrew J. Moore was chosen pastor. General Young was Clerk of the church from June 1823 to July 1833; John Shields from then till about October 1858; Jethro Edmonds from then till about 1871; M. D. Alsbrooks from then till May 1872; Turner Bass from then till his death; and B. I. Alsbrooks was chosen in April 1874. Thomas Brewer was deacon from July 1826 to April 1935; General young from then to March 1843; Turner Brewer from then til September 1857; Jethro Edmonds from then until August 1872; M. D. Alsbrooks, and J. H. Alsbrooks were then chosen.


This church, called for a while Fishing Creek, was constituted in 1755. Some of the pastors have been Elders Charles Daniel, Thomas Daniel, Silas Mercer, Joshua White, Halloway Morris, Philemon Bennett, John H. Daniel, and Robert D. Hart, and William E. Bellamy. The number of members in 1803 was 120. The church had no meeting house for several years, but meetings were held near Enfield.


Some time during the year 1767 Jesse Read was brought to see himself a sinner justly condemned; but by the grace of God he was enabled to believe in Christ as the Savior of his soul. There were then no Baptists in the settlement. Brother Read began to read Whitefield's sermons in public, feeling, as he did, a desire for the salvation of his fellow mortals. But the Lord of the harvest soon sent forth some of His servants into this part of His vineyard. First Elder Charles Daniel; then Elder Jeremiah Walker; also Elder John Tanner. The Lord was pleased to bless the labors of His faithful ministers. Very soon several persons made public profession and were baptized, and were considered a branch of the church at Daniel's meeting-house, on Fishing Creek. Soon afterwards a meeting house was built where it now stands, on a piece of land which Elder Read gave for that purpose. On July 11, 1774, the church was constituted with the assistance of Elders Walker, Tanner, and Joseph Anthony. There were only eight members at the constitution. The same year the church sent messengers and letter to the Separate Baptist Association, which was held that year in Amelia County, Virginia, and was received a member of that body. After this union with the Separate Baptist Associaton, Brother Read began to exercise his gifts to the satisfaction of his brethren, and was finally set apart for ordination. He was ordained May 5, 1775, by Elders Samuel Harris and Joseph Anthony. He was then called to the pastoral care of the church, and continued to serve until old age prevented. He died about the year 1820. He, with Elder Lemuel Burkitt, compiled the first history of the Kehukee Association, reaching down to 1803. Rocky Swamp was one of the ten churches which joined the Kehukee Association after she became established on her present basis. From 1774 until 1803, two hundred and sixty persons had been baptized into her communion, but by reason of death and dismissions she numbered about 100 members in 1803. After the death of Elder Read, Elder Philemon Bennet was called to serve as pastor, which he continued to do until about 1833, due to old age. In about 1831 the church experienced some trouble as a result of joining in the formation of a new Association called the Tar River, which proved to be a missionary body; so that the church had to retrace her steps and again unite with the Kehukee, in 1837. Pastors after this date included Elders Blount Cooper, L. B. Bennett (who served until 1880), and J. W. Johnston.



This church was constituted probably early in the nineteenth century by members from neighboring churches, and was formerly called Coneconary. The early records of the church before 1849 were lost. Elder Lemuel Bennett was chosen pastor in 1849; John Stamper in 1856; William F. Bell in 1872; and Jordan W. Johnson, in 1877. Lawrence Whitehead was ordained Elder in 1863, and William E. Bellamy in 1881. Marcellus Pope was chosen Deacon in 1858; and W. B. White in 1879. Elijah Pope was chosen clerk in 1852; Marcellus Pope in 1859; W. B. White in 1875; and W.. P. Robertson in 1876. The meting house is about seven miles from Scotland Neck.

Copyright c. 2001-2020. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (