Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Franklin County, Indiana



Little Cedar Grove Church was the first church organized in the Whitewater Valley. It was established by Elder William Tyner, who came with a colony from Virginia in 1797, and built a log church as early as 1805, about two or three miles southeast of Brookville. An article in the Primitive Monitor (1958) says the church was organized in 1806, and that Elder William Tyner, Conrad Saylor, John Milholland, Jabez Winship, John Hall, William G. Eads, James Winchel, John Quick, and their families were named among the earliest members of the church.

In 1812, they built a brick building. This brick building, with its balcony, and rifle ports, in the walls, is still preserved, and is the oldest church building in the state of Indiana still standing on its original site. The bricks used were larger than those commonly made today, and were moulded and fired on the site after oxen trampled the hard-packed clay into the right consistency. Thomas Winscott was the brick mason, and Thomas Carter was the carpenter. The building is 22 feet wide and 40 feet long. It was heated by charcoal placed in a shallow pit where the center of the floor had been removed.

Little Cedar Grove Church united with the Miami Baptist Association in 1806, at which time the church reported twelve members. Records indicate that the White Water Association was organized at this church, on October 28, 1809. Some of the ministers who were present on that occasion were Elders William Jones, Moses Frazee, James Lee, and Stephen Gard, who were appointed by the Miami Association to assist them in forming an association. Elder William Tyner was chosen the first moderator, and John Thompson of Mt. Bethel Church was chosen the first clerk.




Big Cedar Grove Church was organized in Springfield township, on September 13, 1817, by thirteen members dismissed from Little Cedar Creek Church. The presbytery was composed of Elders Lewis Deweese and William Tyner, and brethren John Martin, Abram Lee, and a Brother Billings. Jobe Stout was appointed deacon, and Jonathan Stout was elected clerk of the new church. Elders Tyner and Deweese were chosen to serve them as pastors. Joab Howell and David Shirk were chosen as messengers in August 1818, to apply for membership in the White Water Association.

In 1820 the church build a log meeting house. In 1835 it was replaced with a brick building. Later pastors who served included Elders George Harlan, A. L. Thurston, W. A. Chastain, and E. W. Harlan.

Thank you for being patient while we seek information for this site. If you have such information, please write to us.

Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001-2003. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (