Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Champaign County, Illinois



Salt Fork Church was organized by 1832, or earlier, in the Salt Fork settlement which later became the town of Homer. The church was a member of the Vermilion Association in 1833, having joined sometime before. The messenger in 1833 was Samuel Beaver, and the church reported 14 members.


Blue Ridge Church was organized in 1859 by nine charter members, who were dismissed by letter from New Providence Church, near Kenney, DeWitt Co., Ill. Among the number of charter members were Palas McKay (who was later ordained to the ministry by this church) and his wife, Mary. The Blue Ridge Church went into the constitution of the Salt Creek Association in 1861, which only lasted until about 1867. By 1872, this church had become a member of the Sandy Creek Association, where it represented as late as 1883, at which time it had 23 members.


Bateman, Beals, Butler, Cottrell, Cox, Friezner, Jenkins, Jordan, Ketchum, McKay, Mellette, Minix, Nesbitt, Owens, Stansell, Stickrod, Winegarner (very incomplete list due to loss of records).


New Liberty Church was organized June 28, 1941, at the meeting house in Champaign. There were fifteen charter members, viz., Elder Norman F. Graves, Clara Graves, Lloyd W. Clapp, Olad E. Allen, Benjamin Graves, Otis Pile, Martha Pile, Mary Graves, Helen Hayes, Pearl Graves, Betty Jane Graves, Norma Clapp, Bernice Allen, Nona Higgins and Nova Fox. The organization presbytery was composed of Elders O. L. Weatherford, C. H. Cayce, William E. Wright, A. D. Brumfield, D. H. Knight, and Deacons T. B. Clapp, Fred B. Williams, James D. Allen and Charles Walker.

In August 1953, New Liberty Church became a member of the Little Wabash Association.

The present, attractive frame building, with full basement, was erected shortly before the organization. Members of the church donated most of the labor and materials in its construction. An addition was later made on the west end to accommodate congregations at Association meetings.

Pastors have included Elders Norman F. Graves , Lloyd W. Clapp, Roscoe Williams, B. A. Graves, Dale Lester, and Dan Aders.

The Lord's Supper and feetwashing are observed twice each year. Regular services are held each first and third Sunday of the month.


Aders, Allen, Brantley, Brinkmeyer, Brown, Cantrell, Chubb, Clapp, Corn, Davis, Donovan, Egan, Fox, Garrett, Gibson, Graves, Hayes, Henegar, Higgins, Hoffman, Lane, Lester, Lewis, Lucas, Niner, O'Brien, Pile, Poll, Robinson, Schriefer, Stice, Teele, Whitson, Wible, Williams.


Minutes of the Little Wabash, Vermilion, and Sandy Creek Associations.

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Copyright c. 2001-2003. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (