Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Carroll County, Virginia



New Hope Church was organized in 1789, by Elder Robert Jones, in the part of Montgomery county which became Carroll county. It was evidently called Greasy Creek at first, but in 1815, it was listed in association minutes as "Reed Island." The church first united with the Strawberry Association, but in 1793, eight churches were dismissed to organize the New River Association, which occurred in the fall of 1794. Minutes of the New River Association for June 1815 show that the messengers from Reed Island Church were Isaac Cotton and James Bullard, who reported 78 members in fellowship. At this meeting, a presbytery was appointed to "attend Good Hope meeting house in Grayson County to see to the ordination of Brother Isaac Cotton to the ministry." The minutes for October 1815 show the messengers were William Bobbett, James Bullard, and Isaac Cotton. Minutes for 1816 show the messengers were Isaac Cotton and Frederick Quesenberry. Minutes for October 1818 show that the next meeting of the Association was appointed to be held at Reed Island meeting house, in June 1819. Minutes for June 1819 show that it was "holden at New Hope meeting house," but the table lists the church as Reed Island, with messengers, James Bullard, Frederick Quesenberry, and John Cox. Minutes of the New River Association for 1822 show the name of the church as New Hope, and the messengers were James Bullard, John Cock, and Frederick Quesenberry, who reported 52 members.


Ashworth, Barnett, Bobbett, Bobbitt, Bolt, Bond, Branscome, Brown, Bullard, Carter, Cock, Cole, Cotton, Cox, Dalton, Darnell, Davis, Day, Dickens, Dickerson, Duncan, Easter, Edwards, Farmer, Finn, Franklin, Gallimore, Gardner, Goad, Greenwood, Hall, Harris, Henson, Hewitt, Hicks, Hollandworth, Horton, Howard, Huff, Hurst, Hylton, Jackson, Jenkins, Jennings, Largen, Lindsey, Mabry, Mallory, Marshall, Martin, Massey, Matherly, McGrady, McPeak, Midkiff, Milgrim, Moles, Montgomery, Mooney, Neburn, Nester, Ousley, Phillips, Potts, Puckett, Quesenberry, Reece, Reynolds, Robards, Semones, Shinall, Sink, Slaughter, Slusher, Smith, Spence, Stearman, Stillwell, Surratt, Sutphin, Thomas, Thompson, Tolbert, Vaughn, Vinson, Watkins, Webb, Wilson, Woolsey, Worrell, Wright (very incomplete list).


Flower Gap Church was organized on August 21, 1841, by a presbytery composed of Elders John Jones and E. R. Canter, appointed by the Fisher's River Association for that purpose. The original members had met as an arm of Round Peak church prior to this time, at a place known as Flower Gap, about two miles from the town of Lambsburg. Elder Hugh Jones was chosen as the first pastor, and he served for thirty-six years. He was followed by Elders C. Blackburn, A. M. Branscombe, J. M. Wyatt, J. D. Vass, and others. This church was a member of the Fisher's River Association, then the Zion Association.

ELK SPUR (1845)

Elk Spur Church, at Fancy Gap, was established in about 1845. In 1885, the church was a member of the Fisher's River Association. In 1948 messengers were appointed to represent the church in the Zion Association. The first building was probably used until the present building was constructed in the 1930's. Elders Garland Allen and Floyd Bunn were pastors for about forty years. The church has ceased to meet, but the building is being maintained as a landmark.


Laurel Fork Church was organized on September 5, 1846, at the home of Brother James Webb. The presbytery was composed of Elders Nathaniel Thompson, John Conner, and William Lawson. In 1876 a frame strcture was built, and in 1970 it was encased in brick and the pews were replaced. The moderators have included Elders William Lawson, Monroe McGrady, James Thompson, Allen Thomas, Isaac Webb, R. M. Mabry, Amos Vaughn, F. P. Branscombe, R. P. Vass, Delmon Nester, J. Lee Jackson, Mike M. Horton, Grover L. Webb, Walker Nester, Ray Rotenizer, Walter Woods, Melvin McGrady, Reo Nester, Corbin Vass, and Posie Vass.




Fellowship Church (sometimes called Snake Creek), an arm of Laurel Fork, was organized on Saturday before the first Sunday in October, 1848, with thirty charter members. Elder J. William Lawson was chosen as the first pastor. Construction of a meeting house began in about 1873, and the first meeting was held there in February 1874. Later pastors have included Elders Thomas Dickens, Isaac Webb, C. C. Phibbs, R. P. Vass, J. D. Hopkins, L. J. Corns, and Charles Goins.


BELL SPUR (1860)

Bell Spur Church was organized September 28, 1860, by members from State Line Church in the Mayo Association. The Elders in the presbytery were Elders Samuel Arrington, Claiborn Plaster, and Daniel Conner. The first meeting house was constructed of logs, with a huge rock fireplace and chimney, and the seats were also of logs. In 1891 a new frame church building was erected; it has been remodeled several times. Elder J. M. Blancett was to preach the first sermon in the new building.


Little Vine Church was organized May 24, 1872, and was a member of the New River Association. The first pastor was Elder Isaac Webb. He was followed by Elders Isham Surratt, James M. Jennings, James M. Allen, J. H. Hurst, an Elder Phillips, and an Elder Lawson. Elder John F. Sumner was pastor from 1905 until his death in 1956, during which time he baptized 800 people.


Martin Church was constituted at the Byran Martin Schoolhouse, in the Gladesboro area, on November 29, 1875, by members who had been an arm of Elk Spur Church. The presbytery was composed of Elders M. G. Harbor and J. M. Wyatt, and Deacons A. Webb, J. W. Strickland, S. R. Bowman, and J. J. Ayers. There were six charter members. A large frame building was erected in the early 1900's, and meetings were held there until 1967, when the present cinder block building was erected. It has been modernized in recent years. Pastors have included Elders Abner Gardner, A. Z. Phillips, Isaac Webb, Garland Allen, C. C. Phibbs, C. A. Martin, William Harris, Isaac Quesenberry, George Noonkester, P. P. Crawford, S. E. Sumner, Melvin McGrady, Everette Goad, Leonard Marshall, and Leonard Vass.


Mt. Zion Church was organized on March 24, 1877, by members dismissed from the old Harmony Church near Hillsville. Elder James M. Jennings was chosen as the first pastor, and served until 1915. He was followed by Elder J. D. Vass, of Good Hope Church, and James R. Vass, Everette Sumner, and Leonard Marshall. In 1977, the church building was bricked.




Panther Creek Church was organized as an arm of New Hope Church, in 1879 or earlier. Steven Crockett Marshall and his wife, Mary Dalton Marshall, donated land for the church. The deed was dated June 28, 1879. The constitution of the church occurred on Thursday before the first Sunday in June 1881. Daniel William Marshall and his wife, Rebecca Montgomery Marshall, were two of the charter members. This church changed its name to Green Hill Memorial in 1957.


Mt. Lebanon Church was organized at the Castle Hill School, on March 31, 1888, with fourteen charter members, viz., J. W. Matthews, Eliza Matthews, Elizabeth Ann Matthews, Julia A. Vass, Irena Edwards, Charity Edwards, A. M. Edwards, S. M. Edwards, R. F. Sumner, R. D. Hull, C. L. Woltz, M. C. Woltz, William P. Goins, and Charity Goins. Pastors have included Elders William Lundy, W. P. Goins, J. D. Vass, J. P. Branscombe, J. R. Cruise, Matt Edwards, Jim R. Vass, Robert Hill, Norman Bowman, and Edward Bowman. In 1898 plans were made to build a new church. The present building, replacing the first, was built in 1954.


Maple Shade Church began as an arm of Elk Spur Church, in 1885. It was organized as a church on October 7, 1893. The presbytery was composed of Elders F. P. Branscombe, moderator, and Joel F. Marshall, clerk. Pastors who have served include Elders F. P. Branscombe, Joel E. Marshall, C. Ford Martin, Edgar Cassell, Reo Nester, and Corbin Vass.


This church, located near the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountain, near the Volunteer Gap, was organized on the 30th day of March, 1895. Elders M. G. Harbour and A. Gardner, with Deacons H. C. Booker, J. C. McCraw and J. W. Strickland, served as a presbytery. There were 14 members at first, and they chose Elder A. Gardner as their pastor. He was followed by Elder Garland Allen, and others.


Reed Island Church was organized on Thursday before the third Sunday in July 1902.


Pine Grove Church was organized on Saturday, October 17, 1908, with the following charter members, viz., Elva Akers, Nancy Allen, Catherine Beasley, Cena Beasley, Richard Beasley, James L. Brinkley, Fany Carpenter, S. A. Crowder, Mary V. Edmonds, Mary A. Myers, S. E. Myers, Lucinda Norton, Tiny Odle, Mary F. Richardson, J. L. Richardson, Emmer A. Shockley, Loyd K. Shockley, J. A. Southern, Lucinda C. Southern, P. C. Spivey, William Spivey, C. F. Stone, Eliza J. Stone, B. R. White, Calista White, W. R. White, Abraham Williams, J. B. Williams, and Victoria Williams. The presbytery was organized with Elder J. M. Jennings, moderator, Elder D. S. Webb as clerk, and Elders Asa Harris, John F. Sumner, and John W. Phillips. The first church building was a wooden frame structure; it was replaced by a brick church building in 1966.


Galax Church was established in 1913. It is a member of the Mountain Association.


Good Hope Church, near Piper's Gap, united with the New River Association in 1921. In 1922, the church reported 37 members, her messengers being Lafayette Stackner, James R. Vass, and Noah Beamer.


Dry Pond Church was organized on May 23, 1925, as an arm of the Little Vine Church. The charter members were dismissed from Little Vine, Reed Island, and Panther Creek churches. The first pastor was Elder Benjamin H. Myers, and the first clerk was Alvers R. Marshall. Elder Clevie Ousley also served as pastor here, and later, Elders Melvin McGrady and Reuben Hawks.


PINE VIEW (1928)

Pine View Church, at the edge of Dugspur and Laurel Fork, right off State road 638 and State Road 656, was organized on the second Saturday in September 1928. The presbytery was composed of Elders Joel E. Marshall, M. M. Horton, A. D. Vaughn, and J. P Goad. There were ten charter members, which had met as an arm of Little Flock Church, viz., B. H. Thompson, Clair C. Thompson, Isabelle Thompson, Elsie Thompson, Lillie Thompson, Clara Branscombe, A. T. Branscome, Mary Jane Branscombe, Isaac Thompson, and Clarice Thompson. Land for the church was given by A. T. (Toby) Branscombe and Mary J. Branscombe on June 16, 1930. Pastors of the church included Joel E. Marshall, Walker Nester, Ray Rotenizer, V. E. Ogle, Allen Easter, Walter Wood, and Mason Bolt. Clerks included B. H. Thompson, E. C. Thompson, Mary Jane Branscombe, Edith Spence, L. Mason Bolt, and Tabitha Goad.



Sandy Ridge Church was organized on November 29, 1930, by members of Chestnut Grove Church for convenience. The charter members were I. M. Cagle, Martha Cagle, James Edwards, Arena Hawks, Roann Hall, and Amelia Woods. The first pastor was Elder J. R. Cruise, who served for 24 years. He was followed by Elders George Berrier, Coy Sykes, Garnet Easter, and Roy Wilson. This church is a member of the Fisher's River Association.


New Fellowship Church, located on Rt. 677, held its first meeting on June 18, 1948. The presbytery was composed of Elder J. S. Harris, and Guy Cassell as clerk. Elders D. L. Nester and W. L. Gardner were chosen as pastors.


Worrell Memorial Church started in October 1949, when Hubert Bowman, his wife, and sister, withdrew from their church because of disorder. They held services as the church alternately in their homes with Bill Gardner and Blaine Harris as Moderators. The church met for the first time in their new building October 1950.


Harmony Grove Church was organized by fifteen members who withdrew from Harmony Church, in September 1949. In October 1949, eight members from Pine Grove Church withdrew and united with them to organize a new church called Harmony Grove.


Liberty Hill Church was first established as an arm of New Hope Church, and was constituted on May 12, 1951. Elder J. H. Huff was the first moderator; Ray Worrell served as clerk. Other moderators included Ray Rotenizer, Vivian E. Ogle, C. A. Easter, John F. Goad, Cecil Hill, and Walter Thomas. Elder John F. Goad served as pastor from 1966 until after 1991. The church met in the old Liberty Hill School.

Copyright c. 2001-2006. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.

This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (