Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Allen County, Kentucky

CHURCHES:

SULPHUR SPRINGS (1797/1798)

Sulphur Springs Church was organized in the southwest part of Allen County, in about 1797 or 1798. It was the first church of any denomination in the county, being three years older than any other. Elder John Hightower was the first pastor, and served until his death, in about 1823. Elder John Howard was also an early pastor here. The church had grown to 75 members by 1840. In the division over missions, this church stood with the Primitive Baptists.

BETHLEHEM (SCOTTSVILLE)

Bethlehem Church was organized on January 31, 1801, with eight members, viz., James Atwood, Margaret Atwood, William Strait, Dorcas Strait, William Thomas, Mary Thomas, Polly Richey, and Thomas Spillman. The presbytery was composed of Elders John Hightower, Alexander Devin, and Joseph Logan. Elder Joseph Logan was the first pastor. In the division over missions, this church went with the missionary side. (Note: another source says the date of constitution was January 27, 1802.)

LOWER DIFFICULT

Lower Difficult Church appears in association minutes in 1802.

PUNCHEON CAMP

Puncheon Camp Church was organized in 1804, through the labors of Elder William Roark. There were nine charter members, viz., Elder William Roark, Lewis Pipkins, Benjamin Poe, Lovel Stinson, Bro. Taylor, Comfort Poe, Clemency Pipkins, Sarah Taylor, and Sarah Roark.

LONG CREEK

Long Creek Church was organized in 1807, according to one source, and united with the Green River Association.

SALEM

Saken Church was organized on Trammel Creek, in the year 1804. In 1808 (the earliest association minutes available), Elder Young Lamar was the messenger from this church.

TRAMMEL'S FORK

Trammel's Fork Church, west of Scottsville, was organized in 1807.

MIDDLE FORK

Middle Fork Church was first gathered as an arm of Salem Church, on the Middle Fork of Drakes Creek, in about 1805. The church was organized as an independent body in 1808.

BETHEL

Bethel Church was organized near Gainsville, on July 9, 1814, with sixty-one members, dismissed from Bethlehem Church.

MT. GILEAD

SHILOH


Go Back to the Primitive Baptist Library Page

Go Back to the Family History Assistance Page

Copyright c. 2001-2006. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.




This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (bwebb9@juno.com)