Primitive Baptist Church and Family History Research Assistance
for Benton County, Tennessee

CHURCHES:

CYPRESS CREEK

Cypress Creek Church was organized in December of 1821, taking its name from the creek which flowed nearby. The first building was erected on land belonging to William and Penelope Thompson, two of the charter members. Sometime after the Civil War, the Church was relocated farther up Cypress Creek, moving some of the original logs. At various times the church met in some of the home of members. One faction broke away and moved to a small frame building on the front of the present day Eastview Cemetery and was called El Bethel. The Church was disbanded sometime after 1900.

MT. ZION

Mount Zion Church was the oldest church structure in Benton County. It was located on a ridge above Sulphur Creek about five and one half miles southeast of Big Sandy, Tennessee. On October 2, 1973, the Mt. Zion Church was placed upon the National Register of historic places, of the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.

This hewn log house about 18' x 24' was built to house the congregation organized by Elder B. S. Browning for the Primitive Baptists. Unfortunately vandals set fire to the building in the early 1990's and destroyed the entire building.

CHALK LEVEL

The first church at Chalk Level was a Primitive Baptist church. The founding date is uncertain but it is believed to be between 1828 and 1832. It was located approximately 1/4 mile West of the present church near the old Chalk Level Cemetery, which is known as Brown Graveyard.


Copyright c. 2005. All rights reserved. The Primitive Baptist Library.




This page maintained by: Robert Webb - (bwebb9@juno.com)